Enhance your understanding of the world with a science course from The Open University. You can specialise in astronomy and planetary science, biology, chemistry, earth science, environmental sciences, physics or health sciences. So, wherever your interests lie, you’re sure to find a qualification to challenge and reward you.
Why study Science with The Open University?
Whether you choose a broad range of science topics, or to specialise your study, you’ll have the opportunity to explore where your scientific interests lie. With modules and qualifications informed by our own scientific and educational research, we take pride in our international reputation for teaching and research across multiple science disciplines.
The OU can offer you:
- Optional hands-on laboratory work in chemistry, physics, or biology and health, hosted at our Milton Keynes campus.
- Many science courses that use our award-winning OpenScience laboratory.
- Physics-based qualifications recognised by the Institute of Physics.
- Transferable skills highly valued by employers.
Careers in Science
Expand your career opportunities with The Open University’s high quality of teaching and active involvement in international research programmes. With ever increasing employer demand for skilled and qualified science graduates, this could be your starting point for a career in:
- Science administration or management
- Technical consultancy
- Industrial research
Spotlight on Geology
If you’re curious about our planet and interested in discovering solutions to environmental issues, then our geology courses could be for you.
Looking for something other than a qualification?
The majority of our modules can be studied by themselves, on a stand-alone basis. If you later choose to work towards a qualification, you may be able to count your study towards it.
All Science courses
Browse all the Science courses we offer – certificates, diplomas and degrees.
All courses in Science
Honours Degrees (20)
- BSc (Honours) Biology
- BSc (Honours) Chemistry
- BSc (Honours) Physics
- BSc (Honours) Natural Sciences
- BSc (Honours) Natural Sciences (Astronomy and Planetary Science)
- BSc (Honours) Natural Sciences (Biology)
- BSc (Honours) Natural Sciences (Chemistry)
- BSc (Honours) Natural Sciences (Earth Sciences)
- BSc (Honours) Natural Sciences (Environmental Science)
- BSc (Honours) Natural Sciences (Physics)
- BSc (Honours) Environmental Science
- BSc (Honours) Environmental Science (Environmental Management)
- BSc (Honours) Geography and Environmental Science
- BA (Honours) Environmental Studies
- BSc (Honours) Mathematics and Physics
- BSc (Honours) Health Sciences
- BSc (Honours) Healthcare and Health Science
- BSc (Honours) Sport, Fitness and Coaching
- BSc (Honours) Combined STEM
- BA/BSc (Honours) Open degree
Integrated Masters (1)
Made up of 480 credits, this course combines undergraduate and postgraduate study. On successful completion, you will be awarded a Master of Environmental Science.
Diplomas of Higher Education (9)
- Diploma of Higher Education in Biology
- Diploma of Higher Education in Chemistry
- Diploma of Higher Education in Physics
- Diploma of Higher Education in Natural Sciences
- Diploma of Higher Education in Health Sciences
- Diploma of Higher Education in Environmental Science
- Diploma of Higher Education in Environmental Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education in Sport and Fitness
- Diploma of Higher Education Open
Certificates of Higher Education (6)
- Certificate of Higher Education in Natural Sciences
- Certificate of Higher Education in Environment
- Certificate of Higher Education in Health Sciences
- Certificate of Higher Education in Healthcare with Health Science
- Certificate of Higher Education in Sport, Fitness and Management
- Certificate of Higher Education Open
Open University Certificates (4)
Between 60 and 120 credits. Study a specific topic to explore your personal and professional interests.
OU level 1
- Environment: journeys through a changing world
- Physics and space
- Questions in science
- Science and health: an evidence-based approach
- Science: concepts and practice
- Working with people in sport and fitness
OU level 2
- Brain, mind and mental health
- Cell biology
- Chemistry: essential concepts
- Earth science
- Environment and society
- Environment: sharing a dynamic planet
- Environmental science
- Human biology
- Investigating human health and disease
- Physics: from classical to quantum
- Planetary science and the search for life
- The biology of survival
OU level 3
- Biological science: from genes to species
- Chemistry: further concepts and applications
- Earth processes
- Environment: responding to change
- Environmental management 2
- Environmental policy in an international context
- Evaluating contemporary science
- Exploring contemporary issues in sport and exercise
- Exploring psychological aspects of athletic development
- Infectious disease and public health
- Mathematical methods and fluid mechanics
- Researching biology and health science
- Science project course: environmental science practical project
- Science project course: frontiers in chemistry
- Science project course: geosciences
- Science project course: radiation and matter
- Science project course: science in society project
- Signals and perception: the science of the senses
- Terrestrial ecosystems
- The quantum world
- The relativistic Universe
From exploring the right course for you to helping you register, our advisers can help.
As part of the OU’s response to Coronavirus, we have temporarily removed this option.
Please use the ‘Email us’ option to contact us.
Write to us at:
The Open University
PO Box 197