Mental Health courses
If you’re interested in entering the dynamic, fast changing mental health and social care sector, or are already a part of it and want to progress your career or specialise, studying a mental health course with The Open University has much to offer you. Choose below from our range of degrees, diplomas and certificates.
Why study Mental Health with The Open University?
For over 30 years, The Open University’s School of Health, Wellbeing and Social Care has been delivering supported and open distance learning and developing highly-respected materials for multi-disciplinary and multi-professional use. Today, we are one of the largest and most innovative providers of educational opportunities and learning solutions in this sector.
Benefits of studying mental health with The Open University include:
- Courses designed and led by leading experts in health and social care, with a strong focus on transforming health and social care practice through education and research.
- Studies with a flexible, step-on/step-off model that allows progression and development when it’s most convenient for you.
- A strong track record in applied health and social care research, with funding partners including Research Councils (ESRC and AHRC) and the National Institute for Health Research.
Careers in Mental Health
Study in this area will prepare you for a rewarding career in mental health nursing or similar areas. Our status as a world leader in distance learning means that with our courses, you can work while you study, enabling you to critically assess multiple perspectives and apply new understanding in practice as you progress.
Potential job roles related to this area of study include:
- Community Psychiatric Nurse
- Forensic Mental Health Nurse
- Mental Health Practice Development Nurse
- Specialist practitioner in emergency mental health
Looking for something other than a qualification?
The majority of our modules can be studied by themselves, on a stand-alone basis. If you later choose to work towards a qualification, you may be able to count your study towards it.
All Mental Health courses
Browse all the Mental Health courses we offer – certificates, diplomas and degrees.
From exploring the right course for you to helping you register, our advisers can help.
As part of the OU’s response to Coronavirus, we have temporarily removed this option.
Please use the ‘Email us’ option to contact us.
Write to us at:
The Open University
PO Box 197