Whether you’re a complete beginner or want to develop your existing skills, learn step-by-step on an OU languages course. Modern linguistics opens the door to new cultures and opportunities; it could be your key to the global workplace. Choose from French, German and Spanish.
Why study Languages with The Open University?
With more than 12,000 students on language or applied linguistics modules, you’ll join a diverse community of peers, academics and support staff in your studies on an Open University languages qualification.
Studying languages with the OU:
- Offers you the opportunity to become a proficient user (Common European Framework of Reference for Languages level C1) of at least one modern language.
- Gives you the option of a week in France, Germany and/or Spain, depending on the languages you choose to study.
- Develops advanced knowledge of the cultures that use your chosen languages.
- Offers you the opportunity to learn about the English language – it’s history, impact on the word today and role in communication from Shakespeare to social media.
Careers in Languages
With increasing demand for language skills in education, and more broadly across the economy in client-facing roles, the ability to communicate in more than one language could be your ticket to a new career, or your passport to a new life abroad.
The breadth of skills you’ll develop on an OU language qualification could unlock any number of new careers, including:
- Diplomatic Service Officer
- PR Consultant
Looking for something other than a qualification?
The majority of our modules can be studied by themselves, on a stand-alone basis. If you later choose to work towards a qualification, you may be able to count your study towards it.
Our Languages courses
From exploring the right course for you to helping you register, our advisers can help.
As part of the OU’s response to Coronavirus, we have temporarily removed this option.
Please use the ‘Email us’ option to contact us.
Write to us at:
The Open University
PO Box 197