Discover more about the fascinating biological world all around you.
The Open University provides a range of biology modules and qualifications. Choose the right one for you, whether you want to expand your subject knowledge or develop and change your career.
Why study Biology with The Open University?
Join other OU undergraduate students to discover and benefit from our long-established, quality distance-learning teaching. We also use innovative technologies to provide a supported and varied learning experience. Study biology with us, and you will:
- Explore and develop your knowledge of a wide range of biology subjects and applications while developing your scientific skills.
- Undertake a range of home and field investigations, as well as virtual experiments delivered through our award-winning OpenScience Laboratory.
- Design and undertake your own small research project.
- Have opportunities to further develop fieldwork and practical skills through optional short residential schools.
- Become an adaptable graduate with a range of transferable skills that are highly valued in scientific and non-scientific job markets.
Careers in Biology
Study Biology with The Open University and you’ll be developing the scientific problem-solving, analytical, investigative and communication skills that many employers require. You’ll be able to apply your new knowledge and skills in many different areas and fields of work.
Our range of courses in Biology can help you start or progress your career in a wide range of areas, including:
- Research or postgraduate study
- Veterinary, agriculture and medical-related fields
- Biotechnology and biomedical engineering
- Environmental management and conservation
- Government departments, non-governmental organisations (NGOs) and charities
Looking for something other than a qualification?
The majority of our modules can be studied by themselves, on a stand-alone basis. If you later choose to work towards a qualification, you may be able to count your study towards it.
All Biology courses
Browse all the Biology courses we offer – certificates, diplomas and degrees.
From exploring the right course for you to helping you register, our advisers can help.
As part of the OU’s response to Coronavirus, we have temporarily removed this option.
Please use the ‘Email us’ option to contact us.
Write to us at:
The Open University
PO Box 197